PostDoc – Utrecht University
Department: Institute of Linguistics
Job Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Web Address: https://www.uu.nl/en/research/utrecht-institute-of-linguistics-ots
Job Title: 2-year Postdoc in Formal Semantics
Job Rank: Post Doc
Specialty Areas: Semantics
Two-year Post-Doc position (1,0 FTE) in Formal Semantics – experimental, computational and theoretical aspects
The Utrecht Institute of Linguistics invites applications for a postdoc position in formal semantics, part of the project “The Formal Semantics of Collective Categorization” (ROCKY), an ERC Advanced Grant to Prof Yoad Winter (Utrecht). The project develops models of collective reference that are theoretically grounded in linguistic, cognitive and computational theories of meaning.
ROCKY is currently offering a postdoc position with 1-4-2020 as the intended starting date. The successful candidate will work with the PI and other project members, in collaboration with Prof James Hampton (Psychology, City, University of London). We are looking for a Postdoc researcher with expertise in experimental, computational or theoretical approaches to formal semantics of natural language.
– Research in formal semantics, in collaboration with the ROCKY team;
– Regular presentation of intermediate research results at workshops and conferences;
– Publication of peer-reviewed articles in established international journals or conference proceedings;
– Help with organizational tasks connected to the project, such as the organization of conferences and workshops;
– If applicable, help with the supervision of PhD students and research assistants in the project.
– PhD in experimental, computational or theoretical approaches to formal semantics of natural language (to be completed before start of the job);
– Interest in formal semantics, cognitive psychology, cross-linguistic variation;
– Ability to perform and publish high quality research, demonstrated by a strong publication record in international peer-reviewed journals and conference proceedings;
– Excellent English oral proficiency, academic writing and presentation skills.
The successful candidate will be appointed on a fixed-term basis (1,0 FTE), starting 1 April 2020 or soon thereafter. The appointment is for a period of 24 months, with a one-year initial trial period. The gross monthly salary depends on the candidate’s experience and will be based on scale 10 or 11 of the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities.
Utrecht University offers a pension scheme, a holiday allowance of 8% per year, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% and flexible employment conditions. Conditions are based on the Collective Employment Agreement of the Dutch Universities.
If you are interested in applying for the position, please submit digital copies of the following documents through the application website:
– A letter of motivation and/or a research statement, explaining why and how your own experience can insightfully be embedded in the project and how the research you plan to carry out furthers the aims of this project (500 to 1000 words);
– Two publications/chapters of PhD thesis
– A CV including an overview of publications and teaching experience;
– Names and full contact details of two academic referees.
Applications will only be accepted through the web interface of the Utrecht University. To apply, please follow the link that will soon appear on the application link provided below.
Interviews, live or by videoconference, will be held during the week of February 10, 2020.
The intended starting date is April 1 2020.
Application Deadline: 27-Jan-2020
Web Address for Applications: https://www.phil.uu.nl/~yoad/
Prof. Yoad Winter