Deadline for applications: 15. 7. 2020
We invite candidates who are interested in working as an assistant/junior researcher (doctoral candidate) to apply for this position at the student-friendly and research-oriented University of Nova Gorica. The work will be conducted at the Center for Cognitve Science of Language, in a dynamic and interdisciplinary research environment supported by state-of-the-art equipment, and will include direct involvement in the international research arena.
We invite applications from candidates interested in syntax and sentence processing in the context of Slavic languages. The successful candidate will become a member on a research project investigating real time processing numeral-based noun phrases in Slavic languages, using psycholinguistic behavioral methods. Research duties will include developing experimental protocols, recruiting participants, collecting experimental data and their analysis.
As part of their employment, the candidate will work towards attaining a PhD degree as a student in the the University of Nova Gorica’s 3rd-cycle (doctoral) study program Cogniteve Science of language. There is a possibility of a double degree with the University of Geneva’s dotoral program in linguistics.
For achieving the required research goals of their study program, the successful candidate will carry out research tasks and other duties as an assistant in the Center for Cognitive Science of Language in the context of a project financed by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) and the Slovenian Research Agency (ARRS) from 1 October 2020 through 31 September 2023 and directed by prof. Julie Franck on the Swiss side and prof. Penka Stateva on the Slovenian side.
The employment is offered for full-time working hours over a fixed term of one year, starting on 1 October 2020. A renewal of the contract is expected for the duration of the candidate’s enrolment in the Cognitive Science of Language program, depending on the candidate’s successfull progress through the doctoral program. The annual salary will be based on the standard UNG scale and will include full employee benefits. The work location is on campus of the University of Nova Gorica in Rožna Dolina, Nova Gorica, Slovenia.
The successful candidate should satisfy the following requirements:
- Master’s (2nd-cycle) degree or equivalent in the field of theoretical and/or experimental linguistics or psycholinguistics,
- requirements for election to the title of “Assistant” at the University of Nova Gorica,
- enrolment in the 3rd-cycle program in Cogniteve Science of language at the Graduate School of the University of Nova Gorica in the 2020/21 academic year by the employment start date,
- fluent knowledge of Bulgarian and English,
- intermediate knowledge of Russian,
- good communication and presentation skills.
- background in formal syntactic theory and behavioral psycholinguistics,
- knowledge of statistical analysis of linguistic data,
- knowledge of the Slovenian language is an additional plus.
- cover letter,
- CV including contact details,
- list of relevant publications, if available,
- a short motivation letter,
- a copy of degree certificate or other relevant documents,
- two letters of references (submitted directly by the referees).
Inquiries regarding the application procedure should be directed to Tea Stibilj Nemec by email at email@example.com or by phone at +386 5 6205 822.
For additional information regarding the research tasks, please contact prof. Penka Stateva at firstname.lastname@example.org.